Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Great Banyan Tree

"The Supreme Personality of Godhead said: It is said that there is an imperishable banyan tree that has its roots upward and its branches down and whose leaves are the Vedic hymns. One who knows this tree is the knower of the Vedas."  BG 15:1
A Celeste Fig tree (a type of banyan!) I planted at the house over two years ago, flourishing.

The world we live in and experience is a reflection of the eternal and spiritual realm, like a reflection on water is simply a flickering dual image of the real object.  Our senses are reflections of Krishna's divine and Supreme senses.  My question is, if something is being utilized in Bhakti as devotional service, is it still a material object?  Is anything material if it all comes from Krishna?  Is this world all an illusion?  

Bhagavad Gita teaches us that the material world is illusion in that it is temporary.  Everything is constantly changing here, our bodies, the weather, our moods, even entire empires and civilizations change like the seasons.  Everything in this world turns to ashes and dust eventually.  However, the spark of life in all entities is imperishable energy and consciousness.  This process of Bhakti allows us to transcend the  four-fold prison of the body-mind-senses-false ego and become situated in bliss.  How?  Through loving service and spiritual practice.  Chanting and kirtan take us out of the material and into the spiritual.  The more we connect with that and open our heart, the more love flows and the more bliss we feel in that connection with our source, Krsna.  Bhakti is reciprocation; the ultimate, eternal reciprocation.  What type of reciprocation could ever possibly satisfy us more than connection with our original source, maintainer, and absolutely most dear friend.           

The service opportunity I have been desiring was made today.  I have an interview with a teacher at a very progressive yoga studio next week to talk about us doing kirtan programs!  I'm very happy about that.  That will be SO excellent.  
Jai Srila Prabhupada
I've decided also today to make Sundays a day of reflection and extra chanting, in Cherokee Park.  

A lot of old energy is moving out of the house and it's being filled with the Holy Names and sattvic arrangements.  

I've been really absorbing myself in Radhanath Swami lately.


His Holiness Radhanth Swami

This is a very excellent time in my life and I feel incredibly fortunate and blessed.  I want to do al I can to help bring this heart yoga to as many interested people as possible.

To me, Bhakti is like an endless ocean of divine nectar.

Krishna, how can I become closer to you?  What will it take for me to be attracted to Your Holy Names?  How can I have faith in something I can't see or touch?  Please enlighten us from within the heart, dear Krishna.
Krishna's breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment