Saturday, August 20, 2011

Abundance

It's that wonderful time of year when everything that has been growing and swelling with the abundant rains and sun of the Kentucky Summer....is about to go off.  I've been scoping around Louisville for what is harvestable, as urban foraging is something I seriously love doing, and have done for at least 10 years.  I found this big old apple tree down the road and asked the person owning the lot if I could come harvest and they said sure, so, I hauled this little wagon and ladder down the road and voila!  Two bushels of great organic apples with no work!  Nice.  I'm trading apples to the local old-timers for their homegrown tomatoes, which I've been cooking into amazingly good subjis.  I'm also keeping my eyes on these babies:
Local Black Walnuts ( I watched this tree grow from the ground up!)
I'm seriously looking forward to the walnut drop this year.  Walnuts are so good, nutritious, and EXPENSIVE!  But these are FREE and EVERYWHERE!  In the fall you literally see these green balls all over the place around Louisville, and the only harvesters are squirrels and a few old-timers.  I'm going to attempt to get huge quantities of them for saving all winter long and making walnut butter and stuff like that.  And speaking of saving food for winter:

I'm gonna be a butternut!
   
The Butternut squash are really thriving!!!!  Sweet.  The vines are starting to seriously ramble and are getting loaded with baby squash.  These should be great for storing and offering all winter long.  They're one of my favorite vegetables.  In fact, the whole garden is looking great.  I just finished the 3rd bed and am already thinking of doing one more...The new brassicas (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, etc) are looking good and the asian veggies are up and growing.  I planted a patch of Swiss Chard the other day as well.
Happy organic garden
Not only is the garden organic, it's veganic!  I'm all about the cow dung though, but went veganic on this one.  I've been using kelp meal, ground limestone, cottonseed meal, mushroom compost, and am experimenting with local alfalfa meal, which is said to be a great fertilizer.  Everything has been looking great.  The yellow squash will be pickable in about 2 days.
The best part about it is that it's all going towards Krishna's gratification and not mine.  But the service sure is blissful.  If only I had people to share the mercy with!  I've become such a loner, I don't know anyone in Louisville anymore.  It's pretty much me and Radhanath Swami, Aindra Prabhu, and Srila Prabhupada all day.  Well, that's pretty great.  But friends are nice too.  Krishna's always with His friends.  Krishna's ways are mysterious.

1 comment:

  1. Greetings Vakreshvara.

    My family and I (african american) would love to learn/immerse ourselves in the Bhakti lifestyle. We currently live in Kalamazoo,MI. We are two adults (27 and 29) and one child (3 1/2). Please email us at williamsjen819@yahoo.com or call us (269) 267-9009

    Michael and Jennifer
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete